The EU launched legal action against the UK over its plans to override parts of the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement.
- The EU Commission sent a letter of formal notice to the UK over its Internal Market Bill, which violates the Brexit agreement.
- Boris Johnson's Internal Market Bill would give UK ministers the power to override the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement.
- Ursula von der Leyen, the EU Commission president said the Internal Market Bill "is by its very nature a breach of the obligation of good faith".
- The EU asked the UK to remove the problematic parts of their Internal Market Bill by the end of September, however, the deadline lapsed.
- The letter of formal notice is the first step of the EU's formal infringement procedures.
We'd love to help you learn more about what's happening