Source: Unsplash (Dan Gold)
A ruling made yesterday by a California judge officially declares Uber and Lyft drivers as employees deserving of benefits.
- Both ride-sharing companies are expected to appeal the ruling.
- Uber and Lyft argue that many drivers prefer to be classified as freelancers, as it gives them additional flexibility in employment and tax write offs.
- Uber as accused the state of California of trying to "shut down an entire industry" in the midst of the economic depression caused by Covid-19.
- The state of California argues that drivers are "central, not tangential" to Uber and Lyft's core operations.
- The dispute around classifying Uber and Lyft drivers as employees under California law has been going on May of this year.
We'd love to help you learn more about what's happening