Credit: Cancillería Ecuador (Flickr)
On Tuesday, Britain and Canada imposed sanctions on Belarus' President A. Lukashenko, his son, and other senior government officials.
- The sanctions will include an immediate travel ban and asset freeze.
- “We will hold those responsible for the thuggery deployed against the Belarusian people to account," said UK's Foreign Secretary D. Raab.
- Belarus's presidential election is widely considered to have been rigged - Lukashenko claims to have won 80 percent of the vote.
- The election was followed by massive waves of protests, 12,000 people have been arrested in a crackdown on protesters.
- The EU has promised to sanction Lukashenko's regime as well, however, the sanctions have been vetoed by Cyprus.
We'd love to help you learn more about what's happening