Salvador Cienfuegos Zepeda was arrested on Thursday after arriving at Los Angeles International Airport - he is accused of drug-related corruption.
- Zepeda was Mexico's minister of defense from 2012 to 2018 - he served under the administration of former president Enrique Peña Nieto.
- US prosecutors alleged Mr. Zepeda “used his official position to assist the H-2 Cartel, a notorious Mexican drug cartel, in exchange for bribes”.
- The allegations against Zepeda may discredit the army, which has been seen as one of the cleaner institutions - less susceptible to corruption.
- Mexico's president Andrés M. L. Obrador said "It is a very regrettable fact that a former defense secretary is detained, accused of drug trafficking,"
- According to Mr. Obrador, current Mexico's defense and navy ministers are absolutely trustworthy - he has personally picked them.
We'd love to help you learn more about what's happening