photo credit: ActuaLitté (flickr)
According to the Élysée Palace, the president has tested positive for Covid-19 after experiencing symptoms - he will self-isolate for seven days.
- After seven days of self-isolation Macron “will continue to work and carry out his activities remotely”, said the official statement.
- The presidential statement did not indicate whether Macron's wife Brigitte, who is 67, had also tested positive.
- France’s prime minister Jean Castex will also isolate himself for seven days after having recently seen Macron in a ministerial meeting, his office said
- Pedro Sanchez, Spain's prime minister, was also forced to quarantine - he had lunch with Macron at the Elysee Palace on Monday.
- This week France imposed an overnight curfew to help deal with a growing number of cases there.
- According to Johns Hopkins University, there have been two million confirmed COVID-19 cases in France with more than 59,400 deaths.
We'd love to help you learn more about what's happening