Credit: Copper Kettle (Flickr)
According to Angela Merkel, Putin critic and opposition activist Alexei Navalny had been poisoned with the chemical nerve agent Novichok.
- “It’s clear that Alexey Navalny is the victim of a crime. The intent was to silence him,” Merkel told reporters on Wednesday in Berlin.
- A toxicology test carried out by a specialist military laboratory proved "beyond all doubt" that Navalny was poisoned by Novichok, said Merkel.
- Novichok is a nerve agent developed by the Soviet Union - it was used in the March 2018 attempted murder of former Russian spy S. Skripal.
- Germany will now work with the European Union and NATO allies to establish an appropriate response to the incident.
- Linas Linkevicius, Lithuanian Foreign Minister, said that the presence of Novichok links Kremlin directly to the poisoning.
We'd love to help you learn more about what's happening