Source: Unsplash (Mika Baumeister)
Users will be able to open and manage checking accounts directly with Google Pay starting next year.
- Google has partnered with 6 major banks in the United States to make it possible to open checking accounts directly through Google Pay.
- The move into personal banking was initially revealed in November of last year under the name "Project Cache".
- Until the changes take effect, Google Pay requires you to register an existing debit or credit card which could then be used for contactless payments using your phone.
- Google expects that at least 2 more major banks will be partnering with Google Pay in the coming months.
- It is unknown whether Google will expand this functionality outside of the United States any time soon.
We'd love to help you learn more about what's happening