India's economic output contracted by nearly 24 percent in the most recent quarter after PM Narendra Modi imposed the COVID-19 lockdown.
- This is the worst economic contraction in India since records began - the largest drop among all top economies during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- In India 9 out of 10 workers have no job protections or unemployment insurance, which makes such a plunge in GDP particularly devastating.
- Economists say official numbers underestimate the contraction within the "informal" economy - full damage may be even greater.
- Naushad Forbes, the chairman of Forbes Marshall, said India's GDP data represents "the words performance in our history".
- At the moment, India is adding the largest number of new COVID-19 cases per day of any country in the world.
We'd love to help you learn more about what's happening