photo credit: Gage Skidmore (Flickr)
The United States is lifting longstanding restrictions between American and Taiwanese officials, in a move that is expected to anger Beijing.
- According to Pompeo, Washington has for years tried "to appease the Communist regime in Beijing," by regulating diplomatic relations with Taiwan.
- “Today I am announcing that I am lifting all of these self-imposed restrictions", Pompeo said.
- The Chinese government considers mainland China and Taiwan as part of "one China" - US relations with the island have long been a source of tension.
- Trump administration has announced on Thursday that the UN ambassador Kelly Craft would go to Taiwan, a move that sparked criticism from China.
- "I'm grateful to @SecPompeo & @StateDept for lifting restrictions", said Tawan foreign minister Joseph Wu.
We'd love to help you learn more about what's happening