photo credit: Gage Skidmore (Flickr)
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Tuesday that China has committed genocide in its repression of the Uighurs and other mainly Muslim peoples.
- "I believe this genocide is ongoing and that we are witnessing the systematic attempt to destroy Uighurs by the Chinese party-state,” said Mike Pompeo.
- President-elect Joe Biden's choice for secretary of state, Anthony Blinken, told a Senate confirmation hearing that he agreed with Pompeo's new designation.
- The Trump administration did not formally condemn China's actions against Uighurs earlier because of concerns about its impact on trade talks.
- On his final day in office, Pompeo accused China of crimes against humanity, citing torture of civilians that were detained by the Communist party.
- Pompeo called the international community "to join the United States in our effort to promote accountability for those responsible for these atrocities”.
We'd love to help you learn more about what's happening