Credit: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Pol (Flickr)
Trump announced the nomination of Amy Coney Barrett to the US Supreme Court - a decision that immediately stoked a backlash from progressives.
- According to Trump, Barrett's nomination is hugely important for the country as it will secure Americans' right to own guns.
- Trump said the Supreme Court rulings soon "will decide the survival of our Second Amendment, our religious liberty, our public safety".
- Barrett will be filling the seat on the Supreme Court that was left open after justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died earlier this month.
- According to law experts, Barrett is the opposite of Ginsburg - whereas Ginsburg was a reliable liberal, Barrett is a reliable conservative.
- Senate Republicans have promised to quickly confirm Barrett before the presidential election.
We'd love to help you learn more about what's happening