The Senate Judiciary Committee began hearings on the nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett for a position in the Supreme Court.
- Barrett said she is "honored and humbled" by Trump's decision to pick her for a position in SCOTUS - she vowed to judge legal cases impartially.
- During the hearing, Democrats mostly focused on the Affordable Care Act and D. Trump's attempts to invalidate it.
- "This hearing is a clear attempt to jam through a SCOTUS nominee who will take healthcare away from millions of people", said Kamala Harris.
- At the same time, Republicans undertook to defend the decision to confirm Barrett just weeks before the US presidential election.
- If Barrett is approved, she would consolidate a 6-3 conservative majority, thus changing the ideological balance of SCOTUS for years
We'd love to help you learn more about what's happening