Source: Pixabay (Pete Linforth)
Twitter accounts belonging to former US President Barack Obama, Microsoft founder Bill Gates, singer Kanye West, Tesla CEO Elon Musk and many others were hacked yesterday in a coordinated attack.
- The list of twitter accounts hacked is extensive and includes virtually every notable individual in the American public and private sector.
- Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, current Democratic presidential candidate, Joe Biden, and the official Apple Twitter account were also affected.
- All accounts sent out a series of tweets promising to double users' Bitcoin as financial relief for the economic effects of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Twitter stopped the attack by temporarily blocking all verified accounts from sending tweets.
- Those affected are perplexed as to how someone could have accessed their accounts, given that they had two-factor authentication which would require to have access to their mobile devices to log in.
- It appears that Twitter itself was hacked.
- A website called CryptoForHealth which was registered the same day as the attack has provided a lead as to who is behind the hacks but no conclusive information has been revealed as of yet.
We'd love to help you learn more about what's happening