Source: Unsplash (CDC)
The new strain dubbed "VUI – 202012/01" is presumed to be 70% more transmissible than Covid-19.
- The new strain has been known to health authorities since September, though it only recently began to spread uncontrollably.
- Many areas of the United Kingdom have gone into strict lockdown in an attempt to thwart the spread of the new virus.
- Multiple European countries have already blocked travel to and from the United Kingdom, with many others expected to block travel in the coming days.
- It is common for viruses to mutate and thousands of unique strains of Covid-19 have been detected around the world since the start of the pandemic.
- This strain is raising alarms as it is substantially more transmissible.
- Health officials are unsure as to whether the vaccines currently being rolled out around the world will be effective in fighting this new strain.
We'd love to help you learn more about what's happening